If you're in the market to buy wood crates for your product then you've landed at the right place!
Experienced buyers know that buying too soon can cost their company money with space being taken up by empty wooden crates. Buying too late can lead to high expedite fees to get the crates delivered on-time to meet deadlines.
Valley Box is here to help walk you through some of the information you should have prepared before you make the call to request a quote.
Before picking up the phone to buy wood crates, you should clearly define your packaging objectives:
1. When does your production start?
This question will help you to communicate to the wooden crate manufacturer when the finished crates need to be delivered to your facility.
2. How many units are you manufacturing and at what release dates?
In order to buy wood crates you need to know how many you need in total, but also if you would like smaller quantities delivered on specific dates. Delivering in smaller quantities will keep your warehouse from becoming overwhelmed with bulky wooden shipping crates.
3. Where do you need the wood crates delivered?
Make sure that who you buy wood crates from can also deliver to your location. Paying huge freight fees can throw a wrench in the deal.
4. What's the physical size and weight of your items?
Don't forget to consider how many finished units need to fit inside each wooden shipping crate. Need help measuring your part? Watch Valley Box's 1-minute video
5. Do you have physical samples, drawings or 3D files you can provide to potential wooden crate manufacturers?
If your part is complex or has a variety of size differentiation consider sharing 3D files to better communicate with your supplier. Wooden shipping crates are custom designed for each product going inside. Every detail of your part matters!
6. What are your quality expectations?
Discuss with your team how long you expect the wooden containers to last. Questions like: Do we plan to reuse the crates? Do we require long-term preservation? Does the end user have special handling requirements?
7. When should you consider involving a wooden crate manufacturer?
This question will help you determine when you need to start the design process. Here is a link to a helpful post that will help you determine when to involve your wooden shipping crate manufacturer.
8. What is your desired budget?
Sometimes you just don't know, but if you do - we suggest communicating that when you buy wood crates. This can help get both parties on the same page when it comes to determining which upgrades are most important to stay inline with budgets.
9. What values are the most important to you when selecting a wooden crate manufacturer?
What values do you look for in your vendors?
10. What special services or requirements do you need from your wooden crate manufacturer?
Be sure to discuss with your team the importance of the following factors in your selection of a supplier.