Sustainable forestry makes an important contribution to mitigating climate change and adapting to changing ecosystems. Certified Lumber Provider’s follow a process that protects endangered species, and water resources (learn more).
Paper Industry Facts (source):
- Since the 1940’s, annual growth of new trees has always exceeded the number cut down.
- By 1992, tree growth outpaced harvest by 34 percent.
- The energy used to produce the typical amount of paper each of us consumes annually is equivalent to powering one computer continuously for five months.
- Paper comes from a renewable resource – trees!
- The paper & forest products industry replenishes more than it takes and ensures the sustainability of our forests by planting 1.7 million trees every single day.
- By using paper you help keep trees growing.
- Paper is biodegradable, recyclable and reusable.
- Nearly 60 percent of all paper in the United States is recycled and more than 63 percent of the wood fiber used to make new paper products comes from recycled sources.
- The pulp and paper industry is the single largest industrial user of carbon-neutral biomass fuels and has invested heavily in technology to reduce energy consumption.
- On average, 70 percent of the energy used at International Paper mills comes from self-generated, carbon neutral renewable resources.