Wood is one the most popular choices for building material. It makes up to nearly half of the industrial raw materials manufactured in the United States. Yet it only takes 4% of the total energy needed to manufacture all industrial raw materials.
Simply put, manufacturing with wood is energy efficient.
- Bark and wood residuals are utilized as the primary source of energy at production facilities, supplying more than 50% of the energy needed to make wood products.
- Cement is the second most energy efficient material used still taking 5 times more energy than wood to produce.
- Glass takes almost ten times more energy than cement.
- It takes steel 24 times more energy to produce, compared to wood.
- Aluminum is the least energy efficient taking about 126 times more energy than wood for one ton of aluminum.
The advantage of wood versus any other product listed is the reusable leftover material. It can either be recycled, and used in other engineered wood products, or used as biofuel for production. Engineered wood products make far more efficient use of the available resource today than ever before. Valley Box's offers a wide variety of wood packaging solutions.
Visit our “Energy Conservation” page to learn more
Valley Box Company Inc.