The forest product industry helps fight climate change everyday for a number of reasons!
Photo by Sof Andrade Flickr CC
- Forest trees remove greenhouse gases from the atmosphere.
- Manufactured wood products, such as wood and paper store carbon dioxide through its entire lifetime.
- Wood building materials require less energy to produce, transport, construct, and maintain over time.
- Wood also creates renewable and recycled raw materials for alternative use for renewable energy.
- Half of the industry worldwide manufactures using biofuel - a renewable fuel source derived from wood.
According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the climate benefits from sustainably managed forests because it can make a significant contribution to reducing atmospheric carbon. The carbon cycle is a fundamental part of the forest industry, it can only be done by replanting all harvested trees. The geographic area that encompasses the United States today has a greater extent of forest cover than it did in 1920. Primarily because American landowners plant more than 2 billion trees every year, and many more seed naturally. In short the forest product industry's sustainable forests, and everyday operations support a healthier world for future generations.
Valley Box's wood vendors all adhere to SFI & FSC certifications. Visit our “Green Business” page to learn more.Visit our “Green Business” page to learn more