Steel is synonymous with strength, safety and solid protection, which is why heavy duty wood crates reinforced with steel are often the preferred choice when it comes to shipping sensitive items and equipment.
If you’re searching for a superior heavy duty wood crates solution for your next shipment, its best to consult a company with experience. Valley Box's crating experts will help you decide which type of steel reinforced packaging is best for your project, but no matter which type you choose, you can count on the benefits listed below and several other advantages.
Heavy Duty Wood Crates Reinforced with Steel
- Can be less expensive than alternative molded shipping
- Can allow for installation of accessories such as custom saddles and tie downs
- Allow for unique length, size and shape requirements
Case Study: Aircraft Systems Manufacturer
For example, an aircraft systems manufacturer needed a special shipping container for two 26’ delicate wings.
- The length of the assembled wings exceeded the tensile allowances of the wood base, the customer had concerns about preventing damage (like bending or bowing) from rough handling.
- Additionally, the end destination had limited lifting capability. This meant that the container had to be opened and unloaded by hand.
Improved Tensile Allowance
The crating experts at Valley Box created a long heavy duty wood crate with steel reinforcement. The integrated steel in the internal structure added shear support for the unique spanned-open-lid design, tie downs and custom saddles which were installed to support the fragile wings during transport.
The part was accessible by a three-section lid with drop-down end and side panels. This reduced the lid handling weight, which allowed personnel to unpack the box without the use of machines.
All of these elements—including the steel components, ensured that the wings would be well protected from beginning to end.